Saturday, June 21, 2008

The new Arrival





Oddly enough, I was googling the internet, and found a blog on the L122 during research of a then thought, of buying this L143. I went ahead, and bought it today, and it needs restoration. I decided to do what a man is Europe is doing. I'm going to blog my events here on this site.


Today, I picked up the organ from a man in East Tulsa (more like Catoosa). He had the organ in storage for approx. 5 years. I visited him at the storage facility and took a look at this organ. He pulled a sheet from the organ, and I watched as poison pellets for mice flew away with the sheet. Right then and there, I knew that this was probably going to be a job and a half. We chatted a little, and he told me that he was the second owner, and even pulled out the original papers on it. I proceeded to tell him that this was the series (L100) that Keith Emerson used to thrash on stage.

I was able to load this organ into the back of my Honda Element. IT FIT! I backed it up to the ledge coming into the house from the garage, and unloaded it myself. My wife helped stable it on the last heave down to the ground.

The outside is almost pristine. The inside, looks like ancient ruins.

I will post pictures as I progress, but for now, there is a huge exam I have to take for the board of Oklahoma to get my nursing license, so complete attention will have to wait.

Thanks for reading, I will post more when I have it!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Eric,

Great blog! And, great Hammond!

the man from Europe :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric and Rogier,
congratulations on your great blogs and the repairs you are doing! This is important work.

I am the owner of L122 serial number 57540 - a close relative of Rogier's, I believe.

I bought it in 1990 when I lived in England by driving a van for 5 hours (each way) to collect it from a small-town organ centre that had been holding it for me for months. It cost 50pounds.
So I moved to New Zealand a year or so later and it followed me across, where it enjoyed (I think) its first real rock'n'roll career up and down NZ and even Fiji once, using a Leslie 820, then a 145, then both. That was a good ten years.
(By the way, I just take the headphone 'out' into a Leslie floorbox that I had adapted to take both cabinets - for a super-sexy surround-sound.)

Now, my Hammond and Leslies are in storage because we live in a tiny cottage but one day I would love to do the restoration work they deserve, inspired by you two.

Despite life on the road, they kept working proving what punishment they can stand.
I don't have the facilities to make a good blog like you two but will be watching the progress, Eric.
Good luck from Dominic Blaazer
The man from NZ :-)

Anonymous said...

How rude of me, I almost forgot the to mention my first Hammond song! I was only 3 or 4 and had no idea of its meaning, of course.
It was my late father's 45 of "JT'aime, moi non plus" by Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin. I'm glad I still have that disc today.

Unknown said...

Hi,
Dominic. Thnx for the compliments.
Alle the best to you!
Rogier